Around our house, we call this pie crust recipe, “Whitney’s,” because when she was just ten years old, she whipped up an apple pie for the Box Elder County Fair and won SWEEPSTAKES in the open class event. (This means her pie topped all of the little old ladies’ pies!) We’ve used this recipe successfully for years and haven’t ever been disappointed with the results. Believe it or not, with just a few basic ingredients, and a little practice…you, too, will be whipping up sweepstakes’ worthy pie crusts!
Whitney’s Pie Crust
The PERFECT, never-fail pie crust!
- 1/2 t. baking powder
- 3 c. flour
- 1 1/3 c. shortening
- 2 T. cold butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c. water
- 2 T. vinegar
- 2/3 c. flour
- 1 t. salt
- Mix the following together: baking powder and 3 c. flour. Cut in shortening and cold butter.
- In a small bowl, mix the following ingredients together: egg, water, vinegar, 2/3 c. flour, and salt.
- Add wet mixture to the flour/shortening mixture. Combine…stir/mix 25-35 stirs.
- Do not overmix. Use immediately, or shape into 4-5 flattened balls and wrap in plastic wrap to freeze.
- Follow pie baking instructions.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!