Seriously. We aren’t kidding when we say this is the only chocolate cake recipe you’ll ever need. Every time we’ve served it, we’ve been asked to share the recipe. While we love serving up big pieces of cake, this recipe is also fun to use for cupcakes and mini cupcakes. The mini cupcakes are the perfect size for the littles (and bigs) to enjoy without making a huge mess! The cake is moist, and has that wonderful “homemade” taste.
Zucchini Cake (or Cupcakes!)
- 1 c. vegetable oil
- 2 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. cocoa powder
- 1/2 c. cream (if necessary, use milk)
- 1 T. vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 2 c. zucchini grated
- 2 1/2 c. flour
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1/4 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- In a large bowl, combine oil, sugar, and eggs.
- Add cocoa powder and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder together.
- Add to the first mixture. Add cream and mix well.
- Stir in zucchini.
- For cake: Bake in greased 9 X 13 inch baking dish at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. (Test for doneness by inserting a wooden toothpick into the center.)
- For cupcakes: Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. (Test for doneness by inserting a wooden toothpick into the center.)
- For mini cupcakes: Bake 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. (Test for doneness by inserting a wooden toothpick into the center.)
- Note: We love using our favorite homemade chocolate frosting on both the cake and the cupcakes, however, we don't usually frost the mini cupcakes. They are the perfect size to just pop into your mouth and enjoy!